Friday, December 18, 2015

Breadline Challenge: Ailie Crane




As part of my effort to raise money for Food Cycle as part of Cariad Fund group, I am taking part in the Breadline Challenge, where I am living on £2.86 per day for a week. As well as raising some money to go towards our total, this week’s challenge has already made me think about those in which Food Cycle is set up to help (especially in the lead up to Christmas!).


I was able to purchase a surprising amount of food for my money by shopping in Aldi on Sunday – pasta, veggies for soup, bread, apples, cheese, chicken, potatoes and even some chocolate as a treat. However, while I loaded up the car with my bag, it made me remember that people on a very low income would not have the luxury of taking the car to a supermarket. By shopping in small local shops, they are often paying a ‘poverty premium’, unable to benefit from deals and bulk buying to save money.


Another thing the Breadline Challenge fails to capture is the struggle of fuel poverty often faced by those targeted by Food Cycle; they are often not only struggling to make ends meet with food. The price of electricity and gas to make meals must add further stress to an already difficult situation. I don’t think I could have managed if the challenge incorporated a limit on things like electricity, travel and household essentials. Many also have a family to think about.


The rise in the use of food banks in the UK is shameful alongside the tonnes of waste produced on a daily basis. Although the work carried out by food banks is fantastic and a life-line to many, Food Cycle differs in a number of ways. Firstly, there is no need to worry about the costs associated with preparing the food. Food Cycle also provides a friendly, dignified environment to have a sit down, nutritious meal.
 

For me, food can often be a very social experience, from going out to eat with friends to sitting around the table with family finding out about each other’s day. Having to say no to sharing a celebratory piece of cake at work for a colleague’s birthday and to a coffee catch up with a friend this week takes away some of the social interaction we take for granted. Having to say no time and time again must really begin to get you down, and would undoubtedly have negative impacts on mental health.


Today, day five, I am already planning and looking forward to eating out on Monday! What I have to remind myself is that this is difficult as a week’s challenge. These difficulties are a reality for people all over the UK and what Food Cycle does to address this is amazing.




Ailie Crane

No comments:

Post a Comment